3 Ways Your Dog Could Be Poisoned and Why You Should Rush It to a Veterinary Hospital

Every pet parent thinks they understand the basics of keeping their animal safe. Yet, accidental pet poisoning is one of the most common reasons for emergency visits to the vet. Most people often assume that items that are safe for them to ingest are also safe for their dogs. The foods and medications that you take daily could cause severe poisoning when ingested by your dog.

For this reason, it is crucial to know about all the potential causes of pet poisoning. You should also know the common signs of pet poisoning and take your pet to the veterinary hospital as soon as you suspect it. Here are the three most common ways that dogs get poisoned.

Exposure to Medications

Most of the regular medication used by humans is toxic to dogs. Most dogs get tempted to ingest medications because of their small tablet sizes and sweet taste. For example, the regular ibuprofen used for pain relief is very toxic when ingested by dogs. Similarly, anti-depressants and muscle depressants can cause a range of severe symptoms in dogs. 

Your pet might have seizures and kidney failure if they take D-derivative drugs in high doses. Some topical medications for cancer are also fatal to dogs. The best way to avoid accidentally poisoning your pet with medication is to keep the medication out of reach. But if the pet ingests the medication and shows signs of poisoning, contact a vet for help or take the pet to a nearby vet hospital for treatment.

Rodent Extermination Poison

Many homeowners use poison to eliminate unwanted rats, mice, and other rodents from their homes. If you are among them, you perhaps place the poison in strategic corners of the house where you suspect the rodents will pass. Unfortunately, your dog could also access these places and ingest the poison. Chances of poisoning are high if you have laced a piece of food with the chemical. 

Check if your dog shows signs such as loss of appetite, limb paralysis, and seizures because they are usually the common indicators of rodent poison. Then seek help from a vet to save your pet's life.

Toxins from Toads

Toads are common when you have a yard or garden. Some toad species have a coat that contains toxins, which are usually a defence mechanism against predators. A small amount of toad poison can be severely poisonous and even fatal to your dog. You can use a garden hose to flush out the toxin from your dog's mouth if you suspect they touched the toad. You could also call in a vet to treat your dog or recommend hospitalisation if its condition is worsening.

The essential thing is keeping your home environment safe from the possible sources of poisoning. Also, look for an animal doctor or veterinary hospital you can rush to in case of emergencies.